Sunday 20 May 2018

D-I-E China

1. DESCRIBE
I think the most confusing and different thing to me in China has been people's lack of privacy. I have noticed this especially in public places (e.g. hospitals, metro, public toilets). I have observed many nursing procedures where the staff hasn't covered patient's private parts from others or they have been leaving patient's private documents and files on the table for everyone to look at. One time I saw an unknown man reading trough other patient's health records at the nursing station. Metro's are not any different from this because I have seen numerous times people reading random people's text messages behind their shoulders. Chinese people also tend to use public toilets without closing the door. I have been photographed so many times at metro and hospital that I have lost count. No one has ever asked me a permission to take photos of me so I have found these situations very uncomfortable.

2. INTERPRET
For me as a Finnish person, the sense of privacy and personal space is very important so I found all these situations very strange. I think Chinese people are somewhat used to the lack of privacy because there are so many people living in Shanghai. Also they just might not care enough to take care of everyone's privacy because of the constant rush and crowds in China. People seem to hurry from place to another constantly and the pace of the nursing procedures is very quick. I have started to think that maybe Chinese people don't value privacy as much as Finnish people. 

3. EVALUATE
I think that these kinds of situations are a part of normal day for Chinese people. They are more used to sharing everything with others because I guess they have no other choice when this country is so overpopulated. Maybe the positive outlook on this could be that at least this could help the Chinese value more the meaning of team work and sharing. On the negative side, everyone deserves to have privacy when needed. I don't think it's okay to leave the curtains open at someone's bedside when the nursing staff is for example cleaning the catheter or turning the patient (who's wearing a gown with an open back and bare bum) when there are 10 other patients and their family members sharing the same room.

Nevertheless, I have really enjoyed doing my internship in China. It has been an extremely eye-opening experience to see Chinese culture. Hopefully I have a chance to visit it again some day in the future.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think most of Chinese people don't respect other privacy. I feel sorry when you have to be in this situation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some people are looking Chinese and Vietnamese are same but we all know that in whole world they have bad and good people. I hope that new experience even it is bad, that will not stop you to explore more.

    ReplyDelete