Tuesday 22 May 2018

D-I-E CHINA

D-I-E China

1.DESCRIBE
I’m doing my internship at one of the best hospitals here in Shanghai. One week my three classmates and I were at the operation department, where we had an opportunity to see breast surgeries. The operation room was full of doctors and nurses. They spoke loudly, laughed their own jokes, but they didn’t take contact to patient at all. I saw tears and fear in the patient’s eyes because nobody didn’t tell her what’s going on. She just lied quiet on the operation table. The patient was awake during the whole operation. I felt very bad inside of me, because I thought why nobody spoke with the patient. They didn’t tell her what they were going to do or didn’t even hold her hand. I think that the breast surgery can be very traumatic for the patient.

2. INTERPRET
In this department, the doctors are doing many breast surgeries during one day. When one patient is ready, next patient is waiting her/his operation behind the operation room’s door- and of course, alone. Alone and no one takes any contact to her/him. I think that the reason for that is that there is too much work and too many other patients. Doctors and nurses seem to be so busy all the time that they ”just do their work”, and that’s it. In China it is more common that the patients are left on their own, but I think in Finland it’s different. In Finland the nurses and doctors give more attention for the patients and they are trying to figure out what might be the patients real feelings and thoughts. The work here is more repetitive. Even though the situation seemed bad for me, I think that people here in China are okay with the lack of attention because there are just too many people here.

3. EVALUATE
I think this experience in the operation room will make me a better nurse in the future. I hope, that all the patients around me can feel safe and in good hands. I felt bad because I saw the fear and tears in the patient’s eyes. She was so scared. I felt that i was the only one who noticed that. It’s hard to say what would I feel if I waw a Chinese person in this case. Maybe I would like to be treated like in Finland. I saw a motto at one department that said ”What ever you do, do it for the patient”. I think it’s also good for everyone who are working as a nurse or a doctor.



1 comment:

  1. Hi, I think we met last time in the exchange group and we add friend on fb. How are you and your internship?
    I really like the idea that we have to take care our the patient's feeling. I think the thing that you observed in China also applied in most of Asian countries

    ReplyDelete