Wednesday 22 April 2020

D-I-E Germany


My semester abroad is already over, so now it is a very good opportunity to think about my experience after all. This was my second time live in Germany, so I did not face any cultural barriers. However, it surprised me a little bit, how hard it was to get to know the local students at the university.

Describe

In a classroom, everyone sits silent and listen to the professor, the students highly appreciate the professors. It is very rare that someone interrupts them during their talk or even ask any questions. After the lecture, everyone just goes in their own way. In the library and study room, everyone chats and study, in their own group and it is common to make the team works online. So, there are not many opportunities to talk with the other students on school days, if they are not your friends already. I also felt that the Germans are not very interested in foreigners’ students, they did not make any contact with them and they seem a little uncertain to talk in English.


International food day

Interpret


I had six months' time to see and feel the German lifestyle and culture and I am convinced that Germans are very work-oriented and this can be seen in university. In Germany, success in university helps you to get a good job, and here, the previous work experience is not that important. Thus, everyone invests a lot of time into their studies and take it seriously. Maybe they don’t have time to make new friends and the friendship of an exchange student and a school-focused German may not lead to the best outcome because the study-spare time- balance is not the same.


The international family


Evaluate

I know that people talk about unfriendly Germans and it is a stereotype that Germans are very straight and study-oriented. The social outcome is not as important for then as a good result, so, they put all the effort and energy into their studies. In the end, even though I didn’t get to know many local students, I have a lot of international friends now. I familiarize many cultures all over the world and I cannot be happier that I have a lovely international family and also my old friends in Germany. I think in this way the outcome is even better than I ever hoped. 



My besties 💗
-Jasmiina-

No comments:

Post a Comment