Friday 17 April 2020

Letter home

I study Bachelor of business administration in Centria UAS and winter semester 2019-2020 I spend in Hochschule Niederrhein in Germany. The faculty Business Administration and Economics offer a 12 courses module for the exchange students and I have chosen four courses of that module and two courses from language centrum to improve my English and Germany.  Usually in one course is 20-30 students. Most of the students are Germans and, in a group are about 1-5 exchange students. The quality of the studies is very good here, and most of the courses focusing on world trends nowadays. I really like it but the communication between the professors and students is not like in Finland. Here students mostly just listen to the professor and don’t interrupt or ask any question during the lecture. Also, students show much more respect for the profs. For example, calling them by surname and ‘knock the table’ after every lecture.

Monday to Thursday we have a four hours lecture and sometimes after that I study in the library or studying room with my friends. Most of my friends are also exchange students or foreigners, who make the whole degree here. I have found it out very hard to involve and communicate with the local students. It feels like they don't like to talk in English even everyone's English skills are very good. 
That has been very challenged but at the same time, Germans take the studies very seriously and for the exchange students, my time here is not just for studying, it is also to have a great experience and memories. The other exchange students think the same way and together we have had a great spare-time beside the university time.

After lectures I go to the gym, running or swimming. I also spend a lot of time with my friends, usually, we visit cities nearby, go shopping, make dinner together and go partying sometimes. The best moment of the exchange was definitely the 
orientation week. It was a very nice way to get to know the other students. The whole week was full of events and parties and I also made friends from other faculties and campus. It was a great start and an easy way to find friends here. The city, where I live is pretty nice. Here is everything I need, and the location is good. Every week we visit in Düsseldorf and Köln both are about 40-50 mins away. I have enjoyed my time here and learned a lot of new about German culture and the education system. 

I’m lucky to be here and I recommend to everyone to spent a semester abroad! :) 



-Jasmiina-

No comments:

Post a Comment