Thursday 12 October 2017

Letter Home Jesse P.

1. In what country and University are you studying?

I’m studying in University of the Highlands and Islands. I’m living in Inverness, capital of Highlands, which is northern part of Scotland.

2. In what Study program are you studying at Centria?
3. What are the courses like at the host University?
My study program in my home university is Electrical- and Automation Engineering, and here I’m taking a part of Electrical- and Mechanical Engineering courses. Studying at UHI’S courses are pretty much self-studying, and we see teacher only 2 hours per week within every subject.

4. Describe the study culture?

In UK, it’s very common to students do they courses and have a part-time job.

5. What is your study group like?

I’m studying with my Finnish mates, sometimes we do school stuff in the computer class at university and sometimes we are studying in our accommodation. It depends on the subject, if we need computers or not.

6. Please describe what the everyday life is like in your host country? What do you like in particular?

On every weekday: I wake up at 8 am. Eat breakfast and drink my morning coffee and start studying at 9 am. Eat lunch at 12 am. Finish studying at 4 pm. Eat a dinner, maybe go to the city centre with a bus or do some sports like jogging or going to gym. Skype to my girlfriend. And go to sleep.
Urquhart Castle which sits beside Loch Ness

On weekends: We are trying to go visit as many local attractions as possible. Castles, National parks.. etc.

7. What has been challenging? Why? 

The most challenging part was finding myself to the right courses. We planned 4 courses before we came here, and 2 of them do not start until January and 2 of them are full mechanical, so we had to change all of them, few times really.

8. What has been the highlight of your exchange so far?


Highlight of my trip was definitely this one Saturday, when me along with group of other international students, went to see this sport event, called “Highland Games” to Ardgay. There were genres as log throwing, bagpipe playing and Céilidh (Scottish rational dancing along with bagpipe music). 

No comments:

Post a Comment