Wednesday 11 October 2017

Letter home Milla





1.       In what country and University are you studying?

The Netherlands, Saxion University of Applied Sciences.


2.       In what Study program are you studying at Centria?

Industrial management, courses in Finnish language.

3.       What are the courses like at the host University?
Interesting. I study Business Engineering here and it’s so far different from the Finnish schedule I would have had.

4.       Describe the study culture?

We get a lot of homework compared to Finland. We are expected to read hundreds of pages theory every week and do multiple assignments for each class.

 There is lot of groupwork and studying is quite independent, the assigments are mostly done outside classes. During classes we have conversations on the theories and we are allowed to ask questions if something in our independent studies was incomprehensible to us.

5.       What is your study group like?

I think we have people from 14 different countries. Surprisingly we have about the same amount of men and women, which is unusual in engineering studies.


6.       Please describe what the everyday life is like in your host country? What do you like in particular?

I spend most of my time at school and at our flat, because of the amount of schoolwork. 


The food in shops is a little cheaper than in Finland, but the food at cafeterias and restaurants unfortunately isn’t.  I like the Unioncard student card, which grants me free swimming at a local pool and the possibility to join student sport associations at University of Twente. For just 30 euros extra fee, I now get to train boxing 3 times per week for my entire 6 months stay. 

Our flat is also quite nice, but the rent for this one room in a flat with 3 other students is 500 euros, which is more than I would pay in Ylivieska for a flat for myself alone.



7.       What has been challenging? Why?

The amount of schoolwork and meeting the expectations of the teachers, which seem to be set a lot higher than in Finland. In Finland I was able to get a top grade by showing up in all classes and doing all assignments in time, but in here, it doesn’t even guarantee passing the course. I am making some Averko courses to Finland to ensure I have enough credits, because in here, we are also allowed only one re-take of exam for this whole time!



8.       What has been the highlight of your exchange so far?

My roommates surprised me on my Birthday – they had secretly decorated our flat with balloons and a ”happy birthday” banner before I woke up in the morning! It was the best surprise I ever had on my birthday and I didn’t expect to celebrate at all.

1 comment:

  1. Very good post! I hope you had enough time for traveling since you had so much homework. But it's so nice that you had such a great BDay party!

    ReplyDelete