Monday 18 March 2019

Letter to Home – Riitta Saarelainen



1. In what country and University are you studying?

I studied in Lock Haven University, which is in Pennsylvania state, USA

2. In what Study program are you studying at Centria?



Industrial Engineering and Management / Industrial Management

3. What are the courses like at the host University?


I studied International Business, Macroeconomics, Human Resources and English writing skills. Part of these courses were under the management major program and part were under business major program. I felt that some of the courses were challenging to me because those were for the senior student, but it was okay, just did the best I could.


4. Describe the study culture?


I liked this American way better. Somehow it was more effective, because there were not so many lectures and that way topics were more clearly filled or booked up to the lectures. Because lessons time was shorter, there were more homework and assignments to be done.

5. What is your study group like?

I didn’t get along so well with other internationals, so I had to find my connections from elsewhere. It was okay because I get to see more of local manners and habits instead of the regular student life. Studies went okay, I had so different groups around me because of different classes and the major programs.

6. Please describe what the everyday life is like in your host country? What do you like in particular?

Lock Haven is a small town. It surprised me, but eventually it was good that it was that way. Studies were so hard, so I wouldn’t get those done if I would have more action out from the campus. In their school system I appreciate mostly the respect of time. Because it’s more expensive there, people value more time and the schedules in USA; at least it felt that way.

7. What has been challenging? Why? 

Paperwork was very challenging, demands for the visa are huge, at least it felt that way, but still I managed and got through of those, so it was just one part of the exchange. My most stopping challenge was my linguistic skills; it felt like don’t know English at all and I’m ready to come back home. But as everyone said, it got better and stronger all the time, and I’m so glad for that.


8. What has been the highlight of your exchange so far?


·                  Getting to know some so super nice people and get awesome friends around the world!
·                  I got to see and feel NYC, and see the Statue of Liberty, it has been my dream for so long time
·                  I got a chance to live in another culture and country
·                  I pass all my courses and get good grades!
·                  I get to live many of my dreams, so now it’s easier to go back and do that again




1 comment:

  1. Hello, it seems you manage your way up to your studies in USA. It is interesting the way you describe the life in there as it really looks like everything is more efficient because of different variables like the studies fees and cost of living.

    I think this experiences will always help us to be better as you describe at the end and they open the door to achieve our dreams and objective along the way.

    Greetings.

    ReplyDelete