Monday 8 October 2018

D-I-E Czech Republic

D-I-E, Susanna Leppänen, Czech Republic


1. Describe
Source: 
http://in-control.entriforccm.eu/chapters/chapter-4/addressing-language-barrier/
In Czech Republic people outside of Prague don't speak English. Tourists is the reason why they need to speak English there. In city where I lived, you didn't see tourists, only Exchange students.
People in markets and shops don't speak English. Only younger people do but they are feeling shy about it. 




This was first experience about intercultural communication which came in my mind.
I was in market with my friends and I took fruits and i tried to weight them but there was some problem in machine. I tried to ask help from the salesperson but he said something in Czech and I was looking at him so with surprise face. He suddenly got angry to me and my friends who knows little bit czech told me "he is angry because you can't speak his language."
I didn't know how  to react so saler saw from my face i get little  bit sad and he came to me and tried to ask do i speak german. I said sorry I dont speak. Likewise he tried to fix it how he act to me.

2. Interpret
I noticed in Czech Republic older people don't like when people are not speaking their language. I think older people dont want to talk in foreign language. It depends on people, but they can be nice but also very rude. Customer Service was at times bad because they couldn't help us in English and sometimes it felt they don't want to help. 


3. Evaluate
After thinking this situation, I am not feeling bad at it. I know it's hard to help when you don't know the language and I'm happy about the salesperson. He anyway tried to fix the situation. After this happeningn probably not many people are not trying to fix.

2 comments:

  1. I've noticed this same scenario in Italy and France. In France the locals are often to proud to speak english for tourists. Luckily, I've managed to cope with these situations with a usefull translator app.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In everyday life situation we may come accross this kinds of situation.We can get through the situation unaffected if our emotions and mind are perfectly balanced. Yooga and Meditation can lead to mental and physical stability which I learned during my exchange to Austria and it works very well.

    ReplyDelete