Friday 26 January 2018

D-I-E France

1. DESCRIBE: Think of one episode that has left you confused or that you think was strange/different. Describe the object or situation in concrete, observable terms. What happened in the interaction? What was said? What did you see? What did you feel at the moment?

Maybe the first time I was greeted in French way, by faire la bise. I knew about this way of greeting before coming here. Me not growing up with this or not used to it, it was different and caught me by surprise. To faire la bise, you touch cheeks lightly and kiss the air.

2. INTERPRET: Think of possible explanations (interpretations) for what you observed or experienced. From your cultural perspective, try to explain why you think this situation or experience occurred? Try to find at least 3 different interpretations of the interaction or occurrence. What cultural information have you used to produce these interpretations?

To faire la bise is just a normal way to greet your friends here. You see this everywhere regardless of age and gender. The feeling of it being different was just because I wasn't used to it and known with it.

3. EVALUATE: Evaluate what you observed or experienced. What positive or negative feelings do you have regarding the situation? Consider how you might feel if you were a member of the host culture and held the dominant cultural values and beliefs?

If I were French this would've been just a normal everyday situation. I'm used to this way of greeting now. It feels nice to get used to your host country's customs and understand it a bit more.

1 comment:

  1. I want to greet people with faire la bise. It sounds lovely to me

    ReplyDelete