Tuesday 30 January 2018

Letter Home - Sami Pihlava

1. In what country and University are you studying?
  • I studied in Lock Haven University of Pennsylvania, which is in Pennsylvania, USA

2. In what Study program are you studying at Centria?


  • Industrial Engineering and Management / Industrial Management

3. What are the courses like at the host University?

  • I took mostly management courses and one business course
    • They were a lot different than in Ylivieska, because we had really much self-studying and presentations. Other than that, they were okay but could have been a little harder and more in-class lectures, and less homework. :)

4. Describe the study culture?

  • Pretty much the same as in Finland, but waaaaay more homework. Our days were also short, something like 2-3 hours of lectures each day. Main difference was that every teacher or Professor / Doctor as they liked to be called, took attendance in every class. If you missed even one class, it affected on your final grade of the course. Also they took gave you minus points if they saw that you had phone in your hand or needed to go to the toilet during the class.

5. What is your study group like?

  • We had really nice group of internationals, but for some reason the group also divided after a while at the beginning. Of course everyone took courses which are close to their major so mainly we were among the Americans or locals..

6. Please describe what the everyday life is like in your host country? What do you like in particular?

  • It wasn't anything spectacular.. Just normal, like it would be in here Finland. Just more studying or homework and because it was so small city there wasn't a lot of things to see. BUT when ever we had the chance to go or travel to some city, we did so we planned with few international students those trips. PS. I did pretty amazing things during my time in there and visited so many places that I could have never believed. Fulfilled few of my life long dreams also!

7. What has been challenging? Why? 

  • Most challenging was at the beginning to get everything done and sorted. Paperwork, Visa, Courses, Money, Inspections, and all the things I needed to do before I left. It was so overwhelming and still wasn't sure that when I had all documents, that I really had everything I was about to need.


8. What has been the highlight of your exchange so far?

  • Getting to know some really amazing and awesome people around the world!
  • I got to see 4 NHL games during my time in there!
  • One NFL game!
  • One NBA game!
  • Oh boy the list is neverending! Like I said I got to do many things off from my bucket list and fulfilled many of my dreams!

No comments:

Post a Comment