Tuesday 30 January 2018

D-I-E United States of America

1. DESCRIBE: Think of one episode that has left you confused or that you think was strange/different. Describe the object or situation in concrete, observable terms. What happened in the interaction? What was said? What did you see? What did you feel at the moment?

I think that the one thing which left me confused at the beginning was that how friendly people in the USA are. At first a taxi driver gave me discount, because I didn't had the exact sum what it costed. Also how they greet every time when they see you. It is just something that you don't face or come across in Finland. Also they are truly happy for you if you achieve something or you get something you have wished a long time. :) They didn't care that what color you were or what size you are or did you wear any high-end brand clothing etc.


2. INTERPRET: Think of possible explanations (interpretations) for what you observed or experienced. From your cultural perspective, try to explain why you think this situation or experience occurred? Try to find at least 3 different interpretations of the interaction or occurrence. What cultural information have you used to produce these interpretations?  

In the beginning this type of action got me mumbling words, because all of a sudden some guy that I have seen once says "sup?" in the hallway and just keeps on walking. :DD Couple of weeks and I got use to that and it really was something that we should learn from them. Just to say that, even you don't expect them to really tell you how they are, makes you feel that people recognize you and that makes you feel good. 

And what comes to that color, size, clothing thing, it really makes you think differently about the things you have, and what you value. Is it so important to have expensive clothes, or are you richer when you have a new friend from Austria? Now, I would say that having friends all over the world and travelling across the USA made me damn lot richer than any amount of money could.

3. EVALUATE: Evaluate what you observed or experienced. What positive or negative feelings do you have regarding the situation? Consider how you might feel if you were a member of the host culture and held the dominant cultural values and beliefs?

I really don't have a lot of bad or negative things to say about USA or it's people. Like I said, there are few things we could learn from them, and definitely these are the ones! Small talk culture, kindness and authenticity are features we should embrace from them. It brought a brighter side out of me when I got used to these.

2 comments:

  1. It's interesting how we have different experience in the same country :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with how friendly people were in US. Everywhere you go strangers ask 'how are you?' and you are supposed to answer something :D Also I experienced the 'sup?' and it was weird at first. I didn't know what to answer so I just said something like not much :D Soon I just said just 'sup' back to them

    ReplyDelete