Wednesday 10 January 2018

D-I-E Netherlands

1. DESCRIBE: Think of one episode that has left you confused or that you think was strange/different. Describe the object or situation in concrete, observable terms. What happened in the interaction? What was said? What did you see? What did you feel at the moment?
In Netherlands, people are very friendly and social. However, in situations where something goes a little wrong, you can run in to a phenomenon called "Dutch comfort". It is something like cold comfort, meaning you do not get very sympathetic response, but for an example "better you than me". When I was registering as a resident of Enschede in City Hall, there was many problems along the way. I was very relieved when I finally got it done, and I thanked the person at the desk and said that I am glad it's over! The office worker started laughing at my face and said that it is not over yet, I still need to wait about a week for them to send the forms back to me. 
2. INTERPRET: Think of possible explanations (interpretations) for what you observed or experienced. From your cultural perspective, try to explain why you think this situation or experience occurred? Try to find at least 3 different interpretations of the interaction or occurrence. What cultural information have you used to produce these interpretations?  
In the beginning of my stay the Dutch comfort was quite a shock, but luckily our Dutch cultural studies contained a mention about this phenomenon. My first interpretation was that some people are rude and that customer service is bad. This first interpretation was from my Finnish point of view. Then I started to realize, that the Dutch comfort is actually a way to cope with hard situations and the people can actually mean well. To get the second interpretation, I had more experience and knowledge. Now the third interpretation is that the Dutch people are kind of friendly, they regard even strangers like their acquaintances, and they can say things that in Finland would be said only to a friend.
3. EVALUATE: Evaluate what you observed or experienced. What positive or negative feelings do you have regarding the situation? Consider how you might feel if you were a member of the host culture and held the dominant cultural values and beliefs?
The Dutch comfort now can even make me smile because I know it means well. I can even say something like it myself. I think if I was Dutch, I wouldn't even think about this phenomenon because it is so deeply rooted in their communication.

No comments:

Post a Comment