Tuesday 27 August 2019

D-I-E Korea

DESCRIBE
Moving to Korea, I encountered what was going to be my first and perhaps only cultural bump just a few days in. At that point, I didn't actually think of it as a cultural bump because it came from my student buddy (we had exchanged a few emails prior to my journey and a few messages when i got there before actually meeting). This cultural bump has to do with Korean small talk which goes thus;

Speaker: Hey, what is your name?
Me: Clinton.
Speaker: Where are you from?
Me: Finland / Cameroon.
Speaker: How old are you?
Me: 26.

Find anything odd in there? If you didn't then I bet you must be familiar with Korean small talk. I just found it weird to ask someone's age , less than five statements into your chat when you just met them. I always answered but would find it difficult asking what their own age was because it wasn't something I was accustomed to. I was met with this same line of questioning whenever i tried engaging in small talk with someone i met at a gathering.



INTERPRET
The ''raison d'etre'' behind this remained a mystery until one day when I met this Korean lady at a Cameroonian party in another city and thought of it in the course of our conversation. She didn't get to ask what my age was this time around as I joined the conversation midway but she was able to solve what had remained a mystery for so long. Koreans basically hang around with their age-mates, that is, they date, make friends and chill with someone who is the same age as them. So the reason for asking your age that early is to determine if you are in their age group and if they should be hanging with you.


EVALUATE
After this explanation, I was able to understand why it was difficult having friends besides my buddy and his friends to whom he had introduced me to, especially as they had all become friends during the previous semester whilst they were all exchange students in Canada from the same Korean institution, Chungbuk. I was much older as most students where between 18 and 22. After that fateful conversation, I remained content with not trying to make any new friends and stuck to the few I had already.

1 comment:

  1. In my experience Asian countries pay more attention to the age-factor. I experienced the same thing in Japan. While I am 31, most of my fellow students were between 18-25. This did cause some moments where our interests were significantly different, but it did not exclude me from all possibilities. I did end up having a lot of good times with people who were much younger than me.

    ReplyDelete