Tuesday 13 August 2019

Phong Ho - Smiling from Netherlands

Hi friends,

My name is Phong Ho. In Finland, I study Environmental Chemistry and Technology in Centria University of Applied Sciences. From September of 2018 to the January of 2019, I had an exchange study in Hanze University of Applied Sciences, Netherlands. My exchange program is Renewable Energy, Materials and Processing. This time is valuable experience.

Generally, studying and daily-life in Netherland are quite different from Finland. They are different in details, also. Campus of Hanze is located in same place with campus of Groningen, so that area like a village with many large building from many faculty. Hanze university is much more crowded, diversity. In here, it is easy to meet all nationalities around the world. I had about three subjects per period. The hardest is project subject and the easiest is about Dutch culture. There were about twenty students in my class with half Dutch students and half international students. As exchange students, we had some field trip with bicycles to experience Dutch culture with other international friends. For other subjects, it is quite similar in Finland. I had lectures, assignments, group-work and presentation. From my point of view, teaching in Netherlands is not as freedom as in Finland.

For challenges, there are housing problem. About housing problem, Netherlands has serious housing crisis. In September, over 100 students did not have apartment. A big tent is located by school in campus (outside buildings) for some students. School also provided students live in a secondary school or a boat. I did not use these services. I traveled some hours per day for studying my between my relative house (in Einhoven) and school. Someday, my friends hosted me. However, I have apartment at November. This time is new experience for me.

To sum up, studying in Netherlands give me valuable experience and opportunity to live in a new place with new culture. During that time, I understood deeply about myself, recognized some problems which I had not realized before. I think exchange study is valuable chance for Centria student.

Phong Ho




1 comment:

  1. Amazing experience and I am sure the challenges you faced have contributed immensely in refining your person. All the best moving forward.

    ReplyDelete