Tuesday 27 August 2019

Letter Home

I was studying at Chungbuk National University in the Republic of Korea for the spring semester of 2019 as an exchange student from Centria. Being a Business Administration student, I had to take courses from two different departments at Chungbuk; Department of Management and Information Systems and College of Business.

The teaching culture is almost very similar to that of Centria but for the so much importance attached to written exams at Chungbuk. I had presentations in four of the five courses i was offering at Chungbuk which entailed a lot of team work as I had to take part in at least one presentation every other week. This wasn't strange as team work (research and presentation) are a corner stone of my study path in Centria.

With the great importance attached to exams at Chungbuk, it wasn't strange to find students putting in a lot of hours in the library or  at their homes studying for mid-term or final examinations. Each semester has two exams per course (mid-terms which generally constitute about 30% while final exams constitute 70% of the total grade). It was therefore impracticable to find students taking part in some leisure activities two weeks to the start of exams.

Studying in Korea was a good experience as most lecturers had some sort of international experience as majority had studied and went on to teach in the United States, The UK and some other European countries but the United States obviously dominated the lot as the two countries entertain a very cordial relationship. My study group consisted mainly other exchange students from Thailand, Russia, Belarus, Germany, Mongolia and China as I was at a public university with  Korean as the main language of instruction. Native students were studying in Korean and they had just a handful of English language courses for incoming exchange students.

My everyday life was quite simple and homogeneous as i lived on campus in a student dormitory so I had no troubles commuting to school. My classes were always approximately 7 minutes-walk away from my dormitory because it was such a massive campus with each department or faculty having a building or two (like big buildings).

Throughout my stay, the most challenging aspect was sharing the same room with someone else especially as it was quite small. I always had the impression I was in some sort of a box when i went back to my dormitory. This was so challenging because I had never had to share such a small living space in the past.
Not so easy picking out a single moment or instance as the highlight of my exchange as I had lots of fun memories and visited some amazing places. Probably, the cable car mountain at Mount Palgong.


No comments:

Post a Comment