Wednesday 14 August 2019

D-I-E Netherlands

D-I-E, Phong Ho, Netherlands

These were what I hear in Welcome Day for international student of Hanze University of Applied Sciences in Groningen (a city in Netherlands):
- Do you know that Netherlands is country with more bicycles than people?
- One survival lesson for new students is how to lock your bicycles correctly!
I think those are jokes.  Lesson about bicycle locking is over 15 minutes and was taught carefully. It is also like a marketing for bicycle lock and bicycles store. However, from those sharing, we could understand more about Dutch culture.

At first, I have no idea why there are a lot bicycle in Netherlands. Besides, although I know that bicycle is one main transportation in Netherlands, I think locking a bicycle is really simple. Why do they make it seriously? If many bicycles were stolen in Groningen, so they taught us about that. It was not normal for me because the police had been surprised when I had informed about my stolen bicycle Kokkola (Finland) police station. However, why does Hanze just not send new students an email as warning? Many stolen bicycles mean that the city is not safe. If the school doesn’t hide it, they should not public it like that. Having a bicycle is a kind of scary here. Maybe they just told us a joke...

After that, I knew that many bicycles was stolen in the city is real. Some sound like a joke, but they are serious. That shown Dutch culture. They are direct. they see straight to problems and try to find solutions. Maybe because they taught students to lock bicycle well, bicycles are more than people. Many international students come to Netherlands for study every year. They mostly stay from 6 months to 4 years and get out. They get out Netherlands, but their bicycles with good locks are stay.

From that time, I know that I will learn many things in Netherlands. Besides, Dutchs are humor. They smile with problem. They end lesson with a joke:
- If you do not loose bicycle three times, you did not really live in Netherlands. If you lost bicycle 5 times, you are like a Dutch. If you lost bicycle 7 times, we will beg you to get a Dutch citizenship.

After five months, I really learn a lot from my exchange study!

1 comment:

  1. How many times did you loose your bicycle after five months, haha. Well, the Dutch take their bicycles seriously as I was once on the cruise canal in Amsterdam and we had a lecture on that.

    ReplyDelete