Friday 15 December 2017

Cultural dimensions

First of all, I would like to say some words about my exchange experience in the UK. It was an amazing exchange for me, I spent almost 1 year in the UK from 2016-2017. My goal was to go to the UK and try to study there because the UK studying program is one of the best in the world. Also for me was very important to visit the UK and improve my English skills. I met a lot of people and we spent a great time there. I am really missing that time because this experience gave me new knowledge, new adventures, and new friends. One of the most difficult things for me was to get the visa because if you are not EU citizen it’s quite expensive to get the UK visa.

Speaking about culture dimensions I would like to mention Hofstede theory about the United Kingdom. In the UK individualism has a very high impact on your life. You have to be adaptable for everything and be ready for every situation. It means that you have to be a self-confident and communicative person if you want to live in the UK.  As for masculinity in the UK its around 66 points, it means that the society will be driven by competition, achievement and success, with success being defined by the winner/best in field – a value system that starts in school and continues throughout organizational life. You have to “read between the line”- What is said is not always what is meant. To compare. Uncertainty avoidance is the next dimension which has 35 in the UK; this score can show that people are quite happy to wake up not knowing what the day brings. One of the most important things in high Individualist and curious nation is a high level of creativity and a strong need for innovation. Indulgence in the UK has a high score of 69 which means that people possess a positive attitude and have a tendency towards optimism.

These indicators of dimensions are different from my cultures, Russian culture. Power distance in Russian according to Hofstede theory is 93 points, I agree with that because the huge discrepancy between the less and the more powerful people leads to a great importance of status symbols. We don’t have a middle class in Russia, there are only two classes: poor and rich. It’s very difficult situation where people should survive.  Individualism is 39, in a Russian family, friends are extremely important to get along with everyday life’s challenges. You have to respect your family members because they can give you a lot of support.


Studying methods in the UK were very interesting and new to me. It was pretty hard to study there because they have very struggle rules. But there were some new courses for me which gave me a lot of useful information that I haven’t known before. As an example it's digital marketing, in Centria we don’t have this course. Right now I am writing diploma about digital marketing because it’s very exciting and modern area in business structure. It is very hard to find a teacher who can help me write about this field because in Finland it’s new and unexplored area. But all in all the main difference between studying is the level of English, you have to check all the time your grammar in the UK because for them it’s very important to have clear grammar.
Cardiff has surprised me with its “warm” environment; it’s so easy and interesting to live Cardiff. I really like this city, people, area. 

In the end, I would like to mention that this experience was great, this program gave me what I wanted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment