Monday 26 March 2018

D-I-E, Spain [Assignment2]

Universidad Pontifica Comillas, Madrid




1.     Think of one episode that has left you confused or that you think was strange/different. Describe the object or situation in concrete, observable terms. What happened in the interaction? What was said? What did you see? What did you feel at the moment?

ð     My stay in Madrid for 4 months had been great, but their visa process got me confused. Here’s the story: Anybody staying in Spain for more than 90 days should acquire visa or make the registration in immigration office. It was easier for the EU students, as they could just send documents and get registered. Me, as non-EU citizen it was so difficult. Before going to Spain, I contacted with Spanish Embassy in Finland, and they said that I won’t need any visa as I had valid Finnish Resident Permit, and I could simply register as an EU-students after the arrival in Spain. When I went for the registration, people in immigration office said I should have had visa from Finland or my home country, Nepal. Even I showed them the email conversation with Embassy, they simply denied and even showed me the "rule-book". It was a shock, at that moment I felt like: “what am I gonna do now?”. Neither I had Visa, nor they agreed to register my documents. After numerous attempts in different places, a personnel in another department took  the documents and said he’d send it to right place for registration, 3 months went by but never got the decision.

2.     INTERPRET: Think of possible explanations (interpretations) for what you observed or experienced. From your cultural perspective, try to explain why you think this situation or experience occurred? Try to find at least 3 different interpretations of the interaction or occurrence. What cultural information have you used to produce these interpretations?  

ð    One thing is for sure, either people in Embassy had no idea at all or the people in immigration were wrong. There had to be some provision for such students coming from outside of the Europe as Madrid is one of the highest student-accepting cities. Moreover, almost no one speaks English in the offices, everytime I had to go to registration office, I had to ask someone from my university or friend to go with me. Also the language-barrier made it very difficult. Whenever I had to say something, it had to go through someone else’s interpretation and vice-versa.

3.      EVALUATE: Evaluate what you observed or experienced. What positive or negative feelings do you have regarding the situation? Consider how you might feel if you were a member of the host culture and held the dominant cultural values and beliefs?
ð    I felt so bad that I had to live in Spain for more than 1 month without any visa or documentation. I don't know if I should call it legal or Illegal stay. Even people at international office in University, tried to help at the fullest but were unable.
               They felt so bad about the situation and worried that might occur in future again.

No comments:

Post a Comment