Sunday 18 March 2018

Letter Home- Maija Kukkola

1. In what country and University are you studying? /
Where are you doing your internship?
 I am at the moment doing my internship in Denmark in a town called Viborg. Its a quite small city in central Jutland.


Viborg Cathedral.

2. In what Study program are you studying at Centria?
 I am studying nursing and this is my final year Im probably graduating during this summer.

3. What are the courses like at the host University? or What has your work placement been like?
I am working in dialysis ward which patients has kidney diseases and receive dialysis treatment. This is very different and interesting job. I have learned a lot of new things.

4. Describe the study culture? / What is the corporate culture like?
Working culture in the hospital is very similar compared to one which we have in Finland.
In the ward there is being used working method where every patient has their own nurse. In there ward there are working only nurses and doctors so there are no helpers or practical nurses.



6. Please describe what the everyday life is like in your host country? What do you like in particular?
Most of my day goes to work at the hospital. On weekends I have more time to spend on the city and outdoors. Viborg is a small town, but there are other cities close to it. Aalborg has a Viking burial ground and a museum where I would like to visit if I have time. Life here is quite similar to Finland.  I have noticed that the Danes eat a lot of bread, and on Sundays they spend time with their family as we do in Finland

7. What has been challenging? Why? 
The most challenging is definitely the interaction with the patients. It is really difficult to understand and speak Danish. Little by little the patients in the department have become more familiar and some of them have dared to speak English to me. It has been nice to notice. The Swedish language skills also help a bit in communication. The Danes often downplay their knowledge of English although the majority of Danes speaks excellent English. 

At the beginning there were also problems when our suitcases were lost. Fortunately, the nice tutors helped us find the necessary goods in the stores. It is important that there are people who can help when you need it.

8. What has been the highlight of your exchange so far?
I have talked with new people and been researching Viborg surroundings. At the end of the month we also have a food event with other international students. I look forward to it!

 
 Viborg centrum on sunday.
 











No comments:

Post a Comment